|Name & Surname|
|Country of residence|
|1st language (native)|
Ioana Avadani is the president of the Center for Independent Journalism in Bucharest, Romania. In 2013 she was awarded the European Citizen of the Year prize of the European Parliament. She has an experience of over 25 years in the media field, having worked as a news agency deputy-in-chief editor, a TV editor and, for the last 20 years, as a media developer with CIJ. Her areas of expertise are media freedom and independence, editorial freedom, editorial standards and ethics, media literacy. She has served as a member of the Council of IFEX, one of the largest global networks of organizations specialized in freedom of expression (2015-2019). Between 2004 and 2006, she served as the president of the South-East European Network for the Professionalization of the Media, a network gathering 18 training centers and media institutes in 10 countries in the South-Eastern Europe. Avadani published numerous articles and studies dedicated to the media developments in Romania and SEE region, appeared as a speaker in many national and international events and delivered numerous courses for various audiences – from decision makers to journalists to teachers and high school students. She has a MA in Anthropology and an MA in Applied Ethics. She is currently a PhD student in Anthropology. She is also active in literature translation from English.
|Organisation / Company||
Center for Independent Journalism
|Publications, media appearences, interviews, webinars etc.||
1. http://iArticles published in academic journals:
1. Of Journalists and Money: The Employment of Journalists in Romania and its Influence on Media Freedom and Quality, in International Journal of Communication 11(2017), 1975–1997 1932–8036/20170005, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, available at http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/5964
2. An Uphill Battle. Romanian journalism and the coverage of corruption, in Problemi dell’informazione, 2/2017, pp. 257-282, DOI: 10.1445/87067, Il Mulino, Bologna, available at https://www.rivisteweb.it/doi/10.1445/87067
3. Non available – despre depozitul legal digital în România (Non available – On the Digital Legal Deposit in Romania), în Saeculum nr. 2 (42) / 2016 și nr. 1 (43) / 2017, Universitatea „Lucian Blaga”, Sibiu.
Articles published in volume:
1. The Piranha Model: Power Plays and Dynamics of Policy-making Addressing Free and Independent Media in Romania, (with Cristian Ghinea), în Media Policies Revisted – The Challenges for Media Freedom and Independence, pp. 69-82, ed. Psychogiopoulou, E., 2014, Palgrave McMillan, UK.
2. Peisajul mass -media: Stop și de la capăt, în Moldova la răscruce, (pp. 40-54), ed. Panainte, S. 2009, Fundația Soros România, disponibil la http://www.fundatia.ro/sites/default/files/Moldova.La%20rascruce.pdfThe
3. Future of News In Eastern Europe: A study of Promise and Potential, (with Bailey Barash) în Global news – Perspectives on Information Age, pp. 177-184, ed. Silva, T., 2001, Iowa State University Press.
Participation in research projects::
1. Case studies on corruption involving journalists: Romania, ANTICORRP project University of Gothenburg, disponibil la: http://anticorrp.eu/publications/case-studies-on-corruption-involving-journalists-romania/
2. Case Study report: Does media policy promote media freedom and independence?” The case of Romania”, (cu Cristian Ghinea), proiectul MEDIADEM (coordonator: Eliamep, Grecia)”, 2011, disponibil la http://www.mediadem.eliamep.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Romania.pdf
3. Comparative reports – Similarities and differences across the MEDIADEM countries, (cu Daniel Smilov), proiectul MEDIADEM (coordonat de Eliamep, Grecia)”, 2011, disponibil la http://www.mediadem.eliamep.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/D3.1.pdf
4. Media policy development: Policy suggestions for the promotion of media freedom and independence – Romania, proiectul MEDIADEM (coordonat de Eliamep, Grecia), 2011, disponibil la http://www.mediadem.eliamep.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Romania.pdf
5. Mapping Digital Media, Romania, (cu Preoteasa, M., Comănescu, I. și Vasilache A.), 2010, Open Society Foundations, disponibil la https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/sites/default/files/mapping-digital-media-romania-20130605.pdf
Visiting Research Fellow (2013), Media and Democracy in Central and Eastern Europe Project, St. Antony College, Oxford
Copyright © 2020 GLOBSEC | All rights reserved
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.